Cell Division Question

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

chanyui123
Garter
Garter

Cell Division Question

Post by chanyui123 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:06 am

I could not solve this question.
Could anyone help me?
Thanks!

If a cell continued to increase in size without dividing, the cell volume would soon be too large to be adequately supplied with nutrients by surface area. It would be difficult for materials to diffuse to the inner cytoplasm of the larger cell. Using this information develop your own hypothesis to identify the source of the stimulus which initiates cell division.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am

This is stupid. A cell doesn't grow indefinitely and reach the size of a balloon if it doesn't divide. Its size is regulated inherently, reason why each cell type has a particular size.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:14 pm

I think the question is trying to lead you to an answer
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

zakia
Garter
Garter

Post by zakia » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:43 pm

i believe that all these processes are naturally controlled. the cell never increases to such an extent because the chemical composition does not allow it. once the concentration of lipids, acids and toxins increases, an alarm goes on which releases lytic enzymes causing division, generally controlled because the nucleus is monitoring every action. moreover the genetic information coded in the DNA does not allow abnormalities or the cell committs suicide called autolysis. i hope u got my point.