Problem with Euglena

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

vinniram
Garter
Garter

Problem with Euglena

Post by vinniram » Sat May 31, 2008 1:49 am

I was performing an experiment where I shone a lamp onto Euglena specimens in a Petri dish in order to observe population growth. However, the strangest thing happened - the next day, sure was an increase in Euglena numbers, but none of them were moving, and furthermore, some looked as though they were being cut apart by the middle, with a transparent line cutting across vertically (imaging a long euglena laying flat, and then a big transparent streak cutting vertically down). I don't know what's going on, but I'm worried as I need to write this up and have no idea about what to say. There was supposed to be a bit of population growth, not death. If someone can explain what has happened, I'll be happy.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat May 31, 2008 6:35 pm

Yeap, i can: your Euglena was in the course of cell division, in the cytokinesis stage ;)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter