Of Black Tigers and Lions

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Cyranian
Death Adder
Death Adder

Of Black Tigers and Lions

Post by Cyranian » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:04 am

Just thought that people might be interested in checking out these. Melanin is the dark pigmentation which is responsible for the tanning yet damaging process which occurs in humans when they're exposed to sunlight. A melanistic animal has an increased amount of this black or nearly black pigmentation in the skin, feathers, hair, or other outer tissues. It's the opposite of albinism, with some inbreeding involved.

The jaguar's spots can still be made out in a pigment opposite to their natural color.

In snakes, these dark colors are usually from inbred. It's very rare for nature to produce melanistic reptiles.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script= ... en&nrm=iso
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

biostudent84
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by biostudent84 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:13 am

Melanin is a strange substance if you've ever looked at it.

If you look at two slides side-by-side under a microscope...one of skin from a Caucasian, and the other skin from an African...it is extremely difficult to tell the difference by looking at them.\

I was able to see this last year...both the melanin-poor Caucasian skin and the melanin-rich African skin looked identical when viewed at 150x.

Inuyasha
Coral
Coral

Cool

Post by Inuyasha » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:32 am

Just randomly I am going to see Dolly the clone in Philly. Comments...
Ty Guo
pronounced tiger

[email protected]
Garter
Garter

White Moose

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:04 am

Just Wondering what you think of this animal... Does it look Albino, Melanistic or Piebald? And if it is different than albanism, melanism, being a piebald, what is it? Does anyone ever wonder why snow shoe's (& others) molt 2 completely different colors every year. Are we really past Evolution?

This is the same animal. It was shot in late fall, around snow fall.

Tell me here or at my guestbook at

WhiteMoose.Ca

Joel Theriault
[email protected]

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: White Moose

Post by thank.darwin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:51 pm

Wow, did you think about what you were doing before you killed that moose and one other thing- do you hunt for sport or do you hunt so that you can feed yourself and your family?
- think before you act and please don't post any photos like that on here again- thank-you
No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.
-Albert Einstein

[email protected]
Garter
Garter

White Moose Pic's.

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:26 pm

Sorry to upset you regarding pic's of the dead bull, but I think its important that people see it. I didn't shoot the bull myself, and I'm actually advocating that our herd is captured and put into a protected habitat so that they can be safe from natural predators and hunting until their herd grows. These moose seem different than "Piebald" animals, because their blotches (even on the calves) are grey, rather than brown. Here's a nice picture of a live White Moose from the same family strain. Image

Not sure how these moose are doing, but their chances don't look good right now, being that there are no laws protecting them (because the MNR refuses to implement laws) and they also are refusing to allow people to live capture them and put them into protective habitiat.

I'm actually glad to hear that the pic's upset you. They upset me as well. Political changes don't occur if everyone's perfectly content.

Joel Theriault

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm glad to hear that! It's always good to know that other people are concerned about the environment!
No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong.
-Albert Einstein

[email protected]
Garter
Garter

white calf with grey patches

Post by [email protected] » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:50 am

here's a shot of a white calf with the grey patches... if they go dark in the summer, like the bull that was shot, would this mean that the animal is melanistic?

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:33 pm

Thank you for posting the photographs - did you take them?
-Albert Einstein

[email protected]
Garter
Garter

Photo's..

Post by [email protected] » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:31 am

Can't say that I took them... I was fortunate enough to see a white cow with a freshly born calf once in my life and the group lives 20 miles from my home. The calf was completely covered in blood, as it had just been born... would have loved to have a camera then....

What's the likely explanation why these animals have the 2 tone grey patches? Could they be considered melanistic?

thank.darwin
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by thank.darwin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:42 pm

I'm sorry but I don't know... does anyone else?
-Albert Einstein

miniCatClip
Garter
Garter

Re: Of Black Tigers and Lions

Post by miniCatClip » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:30 am

can any 1 help me on the subject of wild cats i'm going on junior mastermind