DNA Replication-Polymerase/Primer

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
ElanaDE1223
Garter
Garter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:34 pm
Contact:

DNA Replication-Polymerase/Primer

Post by ElanaDE1223 » Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 pm

For some reason I am having a hard time completely understand exactly why a primer is needed before DNA polymerase can work..also I am not a hundred percent sure how DNA polymerase actually works. Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you so much!
Elana 8)

cnite
Garter
Garter
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Re: DNA Replication-Polymerase/Primer

Post by cnite » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm

ElanaDE1223 wrote:For some reason I am having a hard time completely understand exactly why a primer is needed before DNA polymerase can work..


Because it ensures self-correcting mechanism by 3'->5' DNAP endonuclease activity can work.

ElanaDE1223 wrote:also I am not a hundred percent sure how DNA polymerase actually works. Can anyone help me with this?


Can you describe in what you 99% percent sure? Then I think it will be easier to figure out remaining 1%.

biolog35
Garter
Garter
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:11 am

Re: DNA Replication-Polymerase/Primer

Post by biolog35 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:49 pm

hi elena.DNA POLYMERASES NEEDS TO A TEMPLATE TO BİND BEFORE PROCEEDİNG İT İS RELATED TO ITS STRUCTURE.I DONT KNOW WHETHER U KNOW OR NOT STRUCTURE OF DNA POLYMERASE İT IS REALLY COMPLEX.IT NEEDS FREE 3' OH GROUP TO ADD NEW dNTPs SO IT NEEDS A PRIMER.AS FAR AS I REMEMBER IT HAS THREE OR MORE DOMAINS TO WORK (LIKE FINGERS,PALM ETCC..) U SHOULD LOOK AT ITS STRUCTURE.

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:57 am

See my answer here, maybe it is a bit more clear.
about13908.html

About the second part, I am afraid there is no simple answer...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest