-ve staining of bacteria:

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sinjanj
Garter
Garter

-ve staining of bacteria:

Post by sinjanj » Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 am

I was giong through "BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES by NPO GREEN...

I came across a section called Capsules of Bacteria...

It says ... "Capsules are slimy or gummy secretions of certain bacteria which show up clearly after negative staining(when background , rather than the specimen, is stained)

With regard to this I wanted to ask the following questions..

a> Does this negative staining refer to gram staining?? :?: But something will show up only if its a gram positive bacteria.... Plz help me to understand this.. :|

b>What do you actually mean by staining the background??

Friends.. Plz answer in simple language... I just need to understand.. I am not pro..plz..simple language

:? Dear friends.. I am waiting for your answers... Plz help me asap

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon May 05, 2008 7:30 am

No, it does not refer to Gram staining. There are many stains used in microbiology. Heck, i myself did 3 or 4 of them in a lab a few years back. However, I never heard of this background staining. What is probably done is to add a stain that selectively binds the growth medium(which is not hard, just make sure your medium contains something that the bacteria can't possibly contain and stain that). Your bacteria will show up white on whatever color the stain is. This is probably done because stains interact with the cell wall of the bacteria, which can take up dyes like a sponge, and the capsule prevents this interaction.
Cheers
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

sinjanj
Garter
Garter

Re: -ve staining of bacteria:

Post by sinjanj » Mon May 05, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks bro...!!! :D

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon May 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Negative staining can simply be adding a drop of ink to the solution where the bacteria are suspended under your microscope. The field will turn black, but the bacteria with capsule will not take up the ink and will appear as light dots on the dark background.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon May 05, 2008 2:55 pm

So i was almost right.
Thanks Patrick
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter