PLEASE HELP! arguments in evolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

stevor
Garter
Garter

Re: PLEASE HELP! arguments in evolution

Post by stevor » Thu May 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Right. Good point about the meteorite. I was thinking of evolution on earth. I don't think there's enough time for that. So, if on some other planet they had time to evolve bacteria and the bacteria made it to earth, that would jump start evolution here and it could have continued here.
Of course, there's that way out theory that aliens planted earth but that still leaves the question of evolution or design where they came from.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu May 01, 2008 8:06 pm

Stevor, I would be interested in hearing how much time you think genes need to evolve.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu May 01, 2008 8:16 pm

I would also like to see calculations of mathemtical probabilities (taking into account all necessary envorinmental and structural factors, not just random probability) of how long evolution should take, and why.

Again I know it's off-topic, but would you mind explaining to me your definition of faith?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

stevor
Garter
Garter

Re: PLEASE HELP! arguments in evolution

Post by stevor » Thu May 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Faith to me is believing in something despite lack of proof.
Though a person might not have a record to show that they can accomplish something in particular, they can still believe (have faith) in them self and believe (have faith) that they can accomplish it.

Thanks for the discussion. Maybe some day when I get better at this, I'll learn how to include somebody else's previous message when trying to address it.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 pm

By that definition I do not have faith in anything; I am very much a "seeing is believing" person. Do you consider yourself to have faith, Stevor? In what?
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count