Production of Remicade in Animal Cell Culture

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

GCampbell
Garter
Garter

Production of Remicade in Animal Cell Culture

Post by GCampbell » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Hi,
Could anyone help me out? I have to do an essay on this but I can't find any information on the actual production of remicade in cell culture. I can find info on animal cell culture and remicade alright but the production I'm struggling with. Help!!!! :cry:

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:22 pm

You could probably start with some general protocols of producing proteins in animal cells - what pros and cons do they have, what requirements, how do those expression systems compare to yeast or bacterial systems, for example.

Then what comes to Remicade (infliximab) itself, I'm not too familiar with it, but afaik it is a monoclonal, chimeric (or humanized) antibody that targets TNF-alpha. You could maybe try to confirm what kind of a protein it is, and then go for antibody production in animal cells. Also check monoclonal antibody production - it is usually the system of choice for production of therapeutic antibodies.

So, some useful keywords: infliximab, monoclonal antibody, hybridoma

I'm not sure if some other expression systems are also used for this kind of antibody production, so keep in mind that other alternatives may exist.

G Campbell
Garter
Garter

Re: Production of Remicade in Animal Cell Culture

Post by G Campbell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Thank you for the advice. That should get me started. :)

G Campbell
Garter
Garter

Post by G Campbell » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Are mammalien cells the same as animal cells?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:41 pm

are mammals the same as animals?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

G Campbell
Garter
Garter

Post by G Campbell » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Does anyone know the specific downstream processess for it? I have had a look around and can't find it. I'm really just looking for which specific chromatoghraphy is used.