Hi there....anyone here interested in membrane fusion?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Granular
Garter
Garter

Hi there....anyone here interested in membrane fusion?

Post by Granular » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 pm

First post so apologies if it's in the wrong place!

I was wondering if anyone has or is studying/researching this area of molecular cell biology?

I have just completed my honours project at university, I was investigating molecular 'fishing' techniques and how they could be used to show the interactions between some of the proteins involved in membrane fusion in nerve tissue.

Although this was all at a fairly basic level (compared to the methodologies you read in published work) I've been really stimulated by this area of biology and am quite sad that I'm no longer in the lab!

There are obviously several theories about how membrane fusion possibly occurs and how proteins may bring about the formation of a fusion pore etc.

I think it's the theoretical/problem solving side of things that I enjoy, writing it up after is the real pain! :wink:

I had some ideas of my own while i was reading for this project, although I think I may be a little too mechanistic about it all.

Anyhoo, probably a bit of a long forst post but what the hey!

Cheers

G

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

If you like membrane fusion so much, apply for grad school and study it.
I must confess, it has always intrigued me too, though i have never more than skimmed the surface
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Granular
Garter
Garter

Re: Hi there....anyone here interested in membrane fusion?

Post by Granular » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:30 pm

:| not quite the reaction I was expecting!

I was hoping someone may have wanted to, in some way, discuss the things that I have said I have been studying in and am finding inspirational at this moment.

I thought that was the point of starting a discussion in a forum?

I have no intention of continuing in academia, not because of inability but mainly due to personal choices. The older you get the less time you have to do the stuff you want to do.

Ah well.

Bye all..........

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:32 pm

Granular, the topic you started is extremely specific and narrow. Nobody here has much expertise in it.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter