Algae

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

teymourj
Garter
Garter

Algae

Post by teymourj » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:07 am

Dear friends,

Currently I am working on a project about doing an energy and exergy analysis on the process of converting algae to ethanol, but after searching a lot of data bases and searching with google I still need more detail information about colony forming algae or any other type of green algae. What I exactly need is is chemical reactions which algae go through, such as decay, formation and fermentation. My field is mechanical engineering therefore I don't have that much knowledge about biological point of view of this process but I need them.

I appreciate any hint and help. Thank you so much for your time.

Teymour Javaherchi

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:22 am

algae produces hydrogen; I'm not sure why algae would be be a good ethanol source...you're probably better off looking at switchgrass.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: Algae

Post by biohazard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 am

I think algae might be a feasible source of ethanol because it can be grown e.g. in the sea. That is, if we use algae as a carbon source for a fermentation process. And if so, I think algae lysate or something similar could be fermented like many other biological materials, although I'm not sure about the exact details atm.