Custom Babies: the master race

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sagebrush
Garter
Garter

Custom Babies: the master race

Post by Sagebrush » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:31 pm

if I am right about genetics, then it is possible to alter the genetic code of an embryo. I've seen it done in chickens, where they inject new genetic material into the stem cells, making the embryo have altered traits. wouldn't it be possible to do the same thing to humans, and in effect have parents be able to decide every trait that their child would have?

in my mind this could lead to a 'master race' of 'perfect' people who have a genetic predisposition to being TOTALLY [email protected]$$. and no, I don't think that this poses any moral issues, as long as you don't alter that person's mind. if you feel otherwise, please don't hesitate to let me know.
my body may be only fourteen years old, but my mind has lived for millennia.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 am

Then the older generation becomes a lesser race who do menial jobs.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Morgyn
Garter
Garter

Re: Custom Babies: the master race

Post by Morgyn » Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 am

I think the big issue is that it will widen the divide between rich and poor. When you think about it this kind of procedure would be expensive for (probably) quite a while after it was developed, so only upper-class (and maybe upper middle-class) parents could afford perfect kids. They'll instantly get all the best jobs (which makes sense) and probably won't have to pay a cent for health-care or any of those other inconveniences. That's my biggest problem with it, though of course in theory the genetically perfect babies sound pretty cool :)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun May 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Ever watch the movie Gattaca?
Anyway, it is not yet possible. But no doubt it will be in the future.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter