What to do, what to do...

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

RTyL
Garter
Garter

What to do, what to do...

Post by RTyL » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:17 pm

I am finishing my B.S. in biomolecular science at a state university. I have a 3.8 GPA and have one fairly major publication in neurobiology; I designed the experiments and ideas on my own, got funding, got the project off the ground, and now am wrapping everything up and passing the entire project down after I graduate. I had no plans to continue my education; however, I now realize I want to get a Phd. My options are...

1) Get a masters at the same school. I could finish a masters at this same state school in a year. I know the people very well, and I could apply and get accepted without waiting a year between.

2) Get a masters at a different school. This would involve taking a 'year off'. I have not taken the GRE's, which are required for most of the better schools out there, but I have a strong feeling that I will do well. I am a hard worker and I am quite bright... so I do not forsee any major problems with GRE scores (I did do very well on my SATs).

3) Apply for a Phd. This would also involve taking a year off.

4) Do not go for a masters, but continue taking graduate classes at Yale (which I live near) in a non-degree program.

If I did decide to wait, I could continue my job at the hospital where I work as a pharmacy tech, or I could try for jobs elsewhere.

What do you think looks best? I would like to study under one of the top notch people in whatever sub specialty I go into... there are several I am considering right now. I will not be heart-broken if I can't go to Harvard or Yale, as both of those are probably out of my reach, but I would like to try, provided they have someone I want to work under. So... what do you think? What is the best way to increase my chances of going to a great program?

Just to throw a wrench into the works... I love math. I can't believe I didn't dual major in either math or physics. Should I pursue either of these to make myself more well rounded, or would that just make me look like I can't make up my mind? My long-term goal is not changing (some sort of biology degree, be it immunology, neuro, whatever... I have some feelings now what it will be, but I'd like to wait for rotations until I go "Ah, yes, this is it for sure!")

Thanks for your time.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:26 am

This question may better be addressed at the following site:

http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/ca ... forum/home

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:47 pm

You'll get some good feedback here as well:

http://community.livejournal.com/_scientists_/

But you'd need to register an lj page and become a community member to post. It might be worth it.