cold weather urination reflex

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

stevor
Garter
Garter

cold weather urination reflex

Post by stevor » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 am

Years ago, I noticed that when I get colder, it tends to make me need to urinate. Now and then I try to find some literature related to it, but have never found it. I recall one other person mentioning the reflex, too, so I figure it's not just me.
I happened onto this site, saw the question about whether a hand in warm water causes one to pee, so I figured I might as well ask my question: "Does anybody know of any literature or have experience with getting cold causes one to urinate?"
Trying to figure it out logically, I came up with the idea that when one gets too cold, their body wants to do something to not get cold. By eliminating some water from the body, there is that much less to keep heated so once one urinates, their temperature is easier to keep constant.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:00 am

no, you just sweat less.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: cold weather urination reflex

Post by biohazard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:07 am

I am familiar with the effect of warm water causing one feel like they wanted to urinate, but I haven't heard of cold or cold water causing that. Of course, some individuals may experience that as well, but I don't know what the physiological reasons for that would be.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:52 am

An episode of Mythbusters showed that the old hand in water trick was untrue.

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: cold weather urination reflex

Post by biohazard » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Yeah, let me clarify:

I don't mean you put your hand into warm water, you actually have to dip in your pecker ;)

And this can be seen particularly well in very young boy children: in hospital labs they sometimes run some warm water on the kids' willy in order to get a urine sample, since otherwise it's pretty difficult - kids of that age don't pee on demand, and when they pee, they simply wet their diapers. But with some warm water, voilá!

I don't know if this mechanism works for girls at all, at least in the lab where I used to work, the nurses applied this only to boy babies.