Lithium Chloride solution for RNA precipitation

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

snowcapk
Garter
Garter

Lithium Chloride solution for RNA precipitation

Post by snowcapk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 am

Brace yourselves for the question I was too embarassed to ask my labmates.

The lab protocol for producing in situ hybridization probes calls for precipitation in lithium chloride solution in order to "clean up" the RNA after DIG-labeling transcription. The protocol calls for a 7.5M LiCl stock solution. When I went to make the solution, I noticed that the pure LiCl in our stockroom looks wet: there are condensation droplets or something along the inside of the bottle and the salt itself looks like moist sand. So my (retarded) question is, did someone store the LiCl improperly or is that how it's supposed to look? Is there some way that I can make it usable (i.e. weighable) by removing the moisture or do I have to go buy a new bottle?

Meanwhile I am cleaning up the transcription products with MinElute columns. What are the advantages/disadvantages of LiCl vs. EtOH precipitation for cleaning up a transcription reaction? How about those compared to the MinElute columns?