Mosquitos, i wanna trap them.

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

johnkang58

Mosquitos, i wanna trap them.

Post by johnkang58 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:10 am

HELLO, im new to this biology forum but i've had experiences in biology forums else where :D

anyway, im a IB student in Hong Kong and i need to collect a sample of mosquitos for results. It doesn't matter whether the mosquitos are dead or not.

So, anyone giving me any tips, help or advices on how to trap mosquitos (the cheaper, the better) would be much appreciated.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Re: Mosquitos, i wanna trap them.

Post by Darwin420 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:43 am

So I am assuming it is warm enough there to be mating time for mosquitos. I also assume you are looking for the common mosquito (Culex pipiens). The best way to catch mosquitos is to know their behaviour, their niche, favoured conditions etc. I would first search around areas with stagnent water, such as puddles and any body of rain water essentially. You usually see females laying eggs around there. Even better yet, you can capture the progeny(larvae) if you want. Which appear like tiny worms, if you startle the water you ussually see them sink to the bottom. Keep them in the water you found them in and put it into a jar and watch them evolve! Then you can use the adults for tests. Or what you could do is walk into an area with skeeters and catch them with a net. There are numerous and creative ways you can approach this.