DNA as data storage

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

slayercantona
Garter
Garter

DNA as data storage

Post by slayercantona » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi everybody,

I try to prepare a report about DNA. But, I have a question to you about a part of my subject.
I have to find a reasonable explanation for using of DNA as harddisk (for data storage) at the future.
In other words, can we storage any data (or knowledge, e.g. mp3, e-book...) onto our
DNA code (e.g. adenine, guanine...)?
I have some idea, but I don't know which are true or false. Our computer harddisks have domains, and we oriented them, applying magnetic field. So, we read data as 1 0 1 0 1 0...
Can we do the similar things to our DNA? That’s, can we oriented adenine, guanine…, thanks to this way? (I hope, you can suggest a solution way to me. Because, I really need your answer about this subject for continue my report.)
According to you, can scientist do this? If your answer is yes, how can we do?
Can anyone explains the solution, briefly or detailed?

Thanks for your helping.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:15 pm

well: a four letter code, like that of DNA, can code for a lot more information than the 1-0 code computers use. So you simply make your DNA with the code you wish to memorize. Also, take a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_computer
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:07 pm