Ph.D. Programe

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

akmali87
Garter
Garter

Ph.D. Programe

Post by akmali87 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:04 am

I get my M.Sc. in animal physiology my project was about the Iraqi medicinal plants that have hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects in experimentally diabetic rats. Iam now in Turkey and I have a grant from Turkish Government to get my Ph.D. but I must choose another line Iam now thinking about Molecular Biology I really need advices about research line in Molecular Biology

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't know how the turkish system work, but:

1- Molecular biology is (in my opinion) not an end, but mostly a mean to an end. So saying that you want to study mol. biol. for a Ph.D. seems very vague. Many, if not most of subjects in biology can be explored with mol. biol., with more or less of other techniques. So chose something that interest you, and look what kind of molecular approaches exist and go for that.

2- Most of the people I know have a vague idea of what field they want to study, look for what labs work in the field where you can apply, and go and discuss with them, and see what kind of projects they have or are willing to develop in the lab.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm

And a moderator comment: Read the rules, you will learn about multiple posting (bad) and posting in the wrong forum (bad too). I corrected both, but be careful in the future, thanks.

And by the way, this post is not here to be discussed, it is an explanation, so if anyone has any comment, you are welcome to keep them for yourself, a new topic in the off-topic, or my PM. We now return to your regular Original poster question.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)