HELP ME PLEAS!!!! OSMOSIS AND DIFFUSION

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

DMAN2011
Garter
Garter

HELP ME PLEAS!!!! OSMOSIS AND DIFFUSION

Post by DMAN2011 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:11 am

HI I NEED HELP ON THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN OSMOSIS AND DIFFUSION. I AM A 9TH GRADER TAKEONG BIO AND NO MATTER HOW MANY DIFFRENT DEFFINITIONS I READ I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAN IT COULD SOMEONE BREAK IT DOWN FOR ME PPPPLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!!

THANKS, DEVONTE

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:25 am

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Re: HELP ME PLEAS!!!! OSMOSIS AND DIFFUSION

Post by Darwin420 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:08 am

Osmosis - diffusion of solvent (for simplicity sakes let's say water) through cell membrane from a high concentration to low concentration untill there is equal concentration on either side (equilibrium).

Diffusion - same idea but molecules and particles traveling from high concentration through the membrane to low concentration until they are equal in concentration (equilibrium).

I know you are in grade 9 so those definitions may be confusing, I hope this somewhat watered down version makes sense.

Darwin

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:57 am

if you are higher than 9th grade, you may also want to take into consideration how the processes occur. Osmosis is a mix of simple diffusion of water(through the lipid bilayer) and facilitated diffusion of water(through water channels=acquaporins).
Diffusion may be either simple, facilitated, or a mix between the two, like in case of water(although this last possibility is rare).
Cheers
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter