Biology careers and math

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Shadowboltshurt
Garter
Garter

Biology careers and math

Post by Shadowboltshurt » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi,
So a lot of the time in high school I messed around and acted like an idiot and didnt do my work or study at all pretty much. My senior year I went to a high school where we didn't have to do anything in order to pass (I didn't do one math assignment all year and received an A+). Now that I am 20 and in a tech school I really want to learn things. I regret screwing around in high school very very much because I feel like I didn't learn anything. I do pretty well in some things, however I am horrible at spelling and even worse in math. I don't think I can do basic algebra. which is really depressing because I'm 20 and feel I should be able to do more advanced mathematics at my age. However I do have an A+ in my psychology class. So my question is.....am I doomed? Do I not know enough about math in order to do something like a good degree (above bachelors) in a science? Sometimes I feel like I should just drop out because I won't be able to make it.
Maybe all it will take is lots of studying and trying in whatever class I am taking at the time?
That's what I have done for my psychology class and it seems to be working however I am worried it won't work for math.
:[

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:52 am

Math is learnable. You're questioning your commitment, not your abilities.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Shadowboltshurt
Garter
Garter

Post by Shadowboltshurt » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:53 am

I guess I feel like it might just be to late to truly learn math starting at algebra and working all the way up to advanced math. Hopefully I'm wrong.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:32 am

Nahhh, not to late. You may have to take some remedial math classes like Pre-algebra and intermediate Algebra, but you can catch up. I did, I was a HS dropout, and now I am getting ready to transfer from a JC to UCSD. Oh, and I am kinda old :)
A good math site is Purplemath
http://www.purplemath.com/
Last edited by MichaelXY on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowboltshurt
Garter
Garter

Post by Shadowboltshurt » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:37 am

Thanks! That's encouraging.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 am

Yeah, michael is actually married and has grandkids, it's never too late to start.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr