Need help filling out biology honor society application.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dakims
Garter
Garter

Need help filling out biology honor society application.

Post by dakims » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I do not understand these questions fully and I think I'm misinterpreting them. Please help!
Here are the questions:
1. What aspects of biological research interest you and why?
Is this talking about the different parts involved in research like creating an experiment, obtaining results? or about a field?
I was wanting to write how I like the process of designing experiments and how to extract conclusions from results because it requires one to really think hard, something different than just memorizing facts for an exam.
3. What interests or experiences in the field of biology have you had outside of the classroom?
Can you give me an example of something. The question seems so broad Idont know how to answer it.
I have interests in parasites. But I am learning it in the classroom as well, so I have no idea what to put here?

Please help, any information would be most helpful to me.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:24 pm

I think the question is asking about a field of biology, such as Taxonomy Zoology science. You could cover both bases by adding more detail like, Performing DNA lab work in taxonomic study. I know, bad example, but you get the idea.
Number 2. This seems straight forward. What have you done outside the classroom to improve your knowledge of Biology. I think they want you to show your true passion for biology.

Does that help?

dakims
Garter
Garter

Re: Need help filling out biology honor society application.

Post by dakims » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:27 am

Can I get some more help.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 am

Agree with michael for number 1. Plus if you were really interested in bio sciences you should have some idea of the things it encompasses - bioinfomatics, tissue cultures, biomechanics, physical modelling etc etc.

2. The question is pretty straightforward, they want to know whether you've been sitting around playing video games or if you've gone out and tried your hand at independent research or taking extra curricular courses.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr