Genetically Engineering a Agricultural Crop

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Genetically Engineering a Agricultural Crop

Post by smalik » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't get the the second step of the seven-step process. I do not understand the part where its say the geneticist will build a chimera containing the the new gene(the gene that will help get the desired trait in plant).
Please, please summarize the two paragraphs of the article that I will paste here:

Having identified the gene that codes for a desirable trait, the next step for the geneticist is to build a chimera containing the new gene. In Greek mythology, a chimera was a creature with a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and a serpent’s tail. In genetics, a chimera is a new DNA molecule constructed in a laboratory with pieces of DNA from several different organisms.

The chimera combines the desired gene with a section of viral or bacterial DNA that is abl to insert itself into the DNA of other organisms. A piece of bacterial DNA called a plasmid is often used to form a chimera. A bacterium carrying the chimera infects a plant cell just as it would if carried a normal plasmid. However, when the plasmid inserts itself into the plant cell’s DNA, it also inserts the desired gene that is attached to it.

Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:51 am

Well first you have to understand bacterial cloning and plasmids.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;