Hardy-Weinberg Problems -hw help. any help appreciated

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

IluvChocolate
Garter
Garter

Hardy-Weinberg Problems -hw help. any help appreciated

Post by IluvChocolate » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi-

i have a series of simmilar problems such as this one and i could use some help as to how to go about doing this problem. i have read/studyed my notes, textbook etc. but i could use some extra help. if you know how to do/start this problem i would really appreciate it. thanks for taking your time to read this.

Problem:
4% of the newborn babies have sickle-cell anemia, (a recessive trait). Out of a random population of 1,000 babies, how many would you expect for each of the three possible genotypes?

My attempts/setting up the problem
The three possible genotypes
dominant
Hetrozygous
recessive

using the p+q=1.0 equation or the p^2+2pq+q^2=1.0
how do i apply the equation to the problem??

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: Hardy-Weinberg Problems -hw help. any help appreciated

Post by blcr11 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:20 pm

They’ve given you q^2 = 0.04 (or p^2 = 0.04 if you prefer). Knowing that, you can calculate q. Knowing q you can calculate p. Once you know p and q, you know everything for a Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium. With my setup, q will be the frequency of the recessive allele while p will be the freqency of the dominant allele. The frequency of homozygous recessive individuals is q^2, homozygous dominant individuals is p^2, and of heterozygous individuals is 2pq. If you need the actual number of predicted individuals per 1000 with each genotype, then you need to multiply each of the genotypic frequencies by 1000.

IluvChocolate
Garter
Garter

Post by IluvChocolate » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:02 pm

thank you VERY much for helping me get started. i worked the problem through and got it right. thank you.