HIV danger

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

wheel
Garter
Garter

HIV danger

Post by wheel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:59 pm

i heard that HIV is very dangerous because it will mutate very fast and at the same time attack the t-cells, causing our level of immunity to drop. how true this is?

are there any new vaccines or cures for AIDS? how can i update my knowledge of the research on HIV and AIDS? any website that i can visit? thanx for your suggestion!
Great thinking, great effort and great spirit produce great work ----- and a great man is born.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Yes, HIV is very dangerous, in part because of its ability to avoid natural defenses but also drugs that targets some of its proteins. No there is still no vaccine or permanent cures against HIV.

The most up to date is obviously pubmed, type HIV as keyword and good luck. If that is overwhelming medline, the CDC or the WHO probably have good advices on the treatments available.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

wheel
Garter
Garter

Post by wheel » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks for your suggestion. Have you heard about reverse transcriptase inhibitors? I hear that this functions to inhibit the process of reverse transcription, rendering the HIV unable to replicate. Is this under research? Have the scientists created the inhibitors?
Great thinking, great effort and great spirit produce great work ----- and a great man is born.

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: HIV danger

Post by biohazard » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:58 pm

Reverse transcriptase inhibitors are actually among the most potent HIV drugs currently in use. With a combination treatment of e.g. three different drugs, the HIV infection can be suppressed for long times, often even for decades. Whereas HIV would create a resistant mutant against a single drug within days, the combination of several drugs affects viruses that are resistant to one or even two drugs, and so the infection can be kept under control and the T-cell count up for years.

However, because the virus still resides inside the cells, and because of latent viruses that later activate (the drugs only inhibit viral replication, do not actually "kill" them), eventually a multiresistant strain will inevitably occur - ultimately leading to AIDS.

So, currently retroviral treatment is effective in preventing the HIV infection from proceeding to the AIDS phase, but they are not able to rid the virus from an infected body.

IIRC, there are also different types of drugs, such as those that prevent/lessen the chance of acquiring HIV infection after someone has been exposed to the virus (e.g. newborn babies of a HIV+ mother, medical personnel after a needleprick accident etc.) - but that's another story :)

wheel
Garter
Garter

Post by wheel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:33 pm

What's retroviral treatment? Is it a treatment using reverse transcriptase inhibitors? I have an idea here. As HIV antibody is a protein, and this protein is made up from the translation of rNA messenger. Since HIV mutates very fast, do you think we can find a way to stimulate the synthesis of HIV antibody before the virus mutates? Perhaps, scientists can carry out research on this.

Actually, what stimulate a gene to unwind its double helix chain for transcription to take place?

There are in fact many many things that i don't know about biology, since I have just studied biology for 2 years in my country. I have just finished my high school last year. But I do have passion to study biology, that's why i join this forum. I hope u won't mind if I know very little and have to ask you many questions. looking forward to your in-depth explanation. Thank you.