stem cells as future research?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

wheel
Garter
Garter

stem cells as future research?

Post by wheel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:09 pm

stem cells are cells that still retain the ability to differentiate into different types of cells. there are basically two types of stem cells, namely embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells. embryonic stem cells can be considered superior to adult stem cells. they can be obtained from the placenta during childbirth. or the human embryo is also another example of embryonic stem cells.

embryonic stem cells can develop and differentiate into all types of cells in our body, blood cells, neurons until brain cell. i understand that if these embryonic stem cells are given the right optimum condition, they will be excited to differentiate to the desired types of cells. so, do u think we can use this cells to cure diseases, for eg, alzheimer's disease, heart disease and even athritis and so forth........

i suppose the future majir focus of R&D is on this stem cell research. and i am also very interested in this.

do u think i can join this research if i study bio-medical scinece or medicine? this is bcoz i am currently not knowing wat course i wanna take since i have jus finished my SPM (a government exam for high school in Malaysia).

can anyone advise me on this? can i actually take medicine and then join research team on biology?

also, do u think stem cells research is a future major research?
Great thinking, great effort and great spirit produce great work ----- and a great man is born.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:54 am

If you are sure you wish to work in stem cells, then you need to take biochemistry, cellular biology, histology etc. You shouldn't go to med school if you want to work in the research part. First it would not prepare you very well and second you'll be wasting 4 years...
Stem cell research is not going to be major in the future, it is major now ;)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter