About Lysosomes

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

tianlai
Garter
Garter

About Lysosomes

Post by tianlai » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:29 pm

In BIOLOGY(Seventh Edition) by Neil A. Campbell and Jane B. Reece, they consider that lysosomes are absent in plant cells.
But in BIOLOGY(Sixth Edition) by Peter H. Raven and George B. Johnson, they consider that lysosomes are present in both animal cells and plant cells. I search for other books that consider sphaerosomes and aleurones, they have the similar function as well lysosomes, in plant cells. What on earth are lysosomes in plant cells or not? I am puzzled. :?
“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.”Carl Sagan
“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.” Richard Dawkins

tianlai
Garter
Garter

Post by tianlai » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:35 pm

By the way, how to add signature and head picture in my post? I am a freshmen in here. Anyway, thanks a lot. ;)
“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.”Carl Sagan
“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.” Richard Dawkins

qiamond
Garter
Garter

Post by qiamond » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:38 pm

Lysosomes are really absent in plant cells as Campbell Biology 7th Edition described. Plant cells have sphaerosomes and aleurones which have the similar function as lysosomes. What's more, lysosomes may also exist in protist cells.
You've already added your signature and headed your picture right? Just edit you profile in the contron panel.
Love you over the Pacific Ocean!
Love you in the eternal world!

tianlai
Garter
Garter

Post by tianlai » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Merci beaucoup.
:D

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

The plant vacuole is a remarkably versatile lysosome. In a way, plant cells do have lysosomes, because vacuoles are lysosomes. MBOC refers to vacuoles as phytolysosomes. Aleurones(try to avoid this old term - they are now called protein bodies) are specialized vacuoles, that are filled with proteins and a phytin salt. Spherosomes are not vacuoles. They are expansions of the endopasmic reticulum that store lipids.
Let me know if you have other questions.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

tianlai
Garter
Garter

Post by tianlai » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 am

So we can consider there is not the same organelle as lysosome in plant cells. Same function but different organelle. In plant cells they are food vacuoles. To be or not to be that isn't a question. Definition is the question.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Well some consider vacuoles and lysosomes the same organelle, some consider them different organelles. They evolved from the same ancestor and are related in many ways, that is sure.
Personally I have nothing against considering the vacuole a lysosome that evolved in order to carry out the many important functions that plant vacuoles have. However, others consider the vacuole a totally different organelle and mention that it evolved from the same ancestor as lysosomes as a side note. But you can make your own decision if they are still similar enough to be called the same organelle.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter