Amalgam in and out of body

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Amalgam in and out of body

Post by ohiolighthouse » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:44 pm

I'm in dental assisting school. We've been discussing amalgam restorations. The hazzards of handling amalgam. One of the questions that came up was:

"Why is it "safe" to have amalgam restorations in the mouth but it's very hazardous and toxic to handle it outside of the body?"

I have researched and researched and have not been able to come up with an answer or a web site that can direct me to answers. If someone can help me along with this or direct me to some knowledgable reading i would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 3909
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:46 pm
Location: Canada

Post by canalon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:48 am

The fact is that the mercury as a metal is not really toxic, it is the salts that ae toxic. But when you have pure mercury it can oxidise quickly and release toxic vapours. I guess that once amalgamated it does not oxidise that easily. At least deep in your mouth and mostly wet do not leave a lot of opportunity for oxidation.

More detail, and your question is discussed in that page:

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests