glow in the dark cats

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Roan
Garter
Garter

glow in the dark cats

Post by Roan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:26 pm

I heard that some scientists in corea have cloned cats that glow under UV light (or infared, I can't remember) wich makes me think, if we got someone who is like the perfect genetic sample, couldn't we clone him and put the clones up for adoption? that would be awesom because the families would get a really awsome kid and the clone would never know that he was a clone (untill the other clones meet him... "okey wich benny is mine?" that would suck... and be kinda cool.)
I find the biology of lesser spiecies fascenating..... thats why I study humans :twisted:

-Roan

Jammerz
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Jammerz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Besides the obvious ethical issues, what exactly is "the perfect genetic sample"?

Also, there are already more than enough orphans up for adoption; why would you need to "clone" people specifically for that purpose?

And finally, "cloning" isn't as easy as getting some DNA and growing babies out of a test tube! They actually need to be implanted into a uterus and be birthed! Good luck finding women willing to pump out cloned babies to put up for adoption!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Cloning has a very very very low success rate.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr