Photorespiration

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

negativefx14
Garter
Garter

Post by negativefx14 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:42 am

I really like where that is going, but how will I mass the air. And how will I calculate the rate. Im still slightly puzzled.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:43 am

You don't need to understand mass spectometry in depth, but basically what happens you shoot the atoms(ionizied) of the sample thru a giant magnetic field. Since a moving charge is has a force acted on it by an external magnetic field it's trajectory will bend. However since the atoms are of different mass they amount of bend is different. A detector will show where atoms are hitting it and how many atoms. Location determines identity and intensity(how many atoms are hitting) determines concentration.

Since oxygen is consumed in photorespiration you can measure the change in oxygen isotope in the air as being the rate of photorespiration.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

negativefx14
Garter
Garter

Post by negativefx14 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Hmm, that makes sense I guess. I have no idea how one would shoot the atoms or whatever, and Im still puzzled on how I will be able to control this.

And I thought the plant would also produce oxygen, so is the produced oxygen of the same isotope, or does it return to its normal state?

And would it just be better to see how much CO2 it takes in? Like find the mass or concentration of CO2 and O2 initially, and then see how much is left after a certain amount of time. Because doesnt the process only happen so many times per second?

And I have another question. If I cut a small piece of the leaf, like into a disk, would the leaf still survive, and would I still be able to test for photorespiration?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re:

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:45 pm

negativefx14 wrote:And would it just be better to see how much CO2 it takes in? Like find the mass or concentration of CO2 and O2 initially, and then see how much is left after a certain amount of time. Because doesnt the process only happen so many times per second?

yes, that is what i was suggesting you do with BaOH

And I have another question. If I cut a small piece of the leaf, like into a disk, would the leaf still survive, and would I still be able to test for photorespiration?

Yes, but only for a very very short period of time
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re:

Post by mith » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 pm

negativefx14 wrote:Hmm, that makes sense I guess. I have no idea how one would shoot the atoms or whatever, and Im still puzzled on how I will be able to control this.

And I thought the plant would also produce oxygen, so is the produced oxygen of the same isotope, or does it return to its normal state?

1. This is done in a lab machine, you don't need to build this!

2. Yes plants do produce oxygen however, as said in my previous hint oxygen comes from water. Since your atmosphere is proportionally more isotope oxygen than normal oxgyen produced from water, the photorespiration from "normal" oxygen is negligible.
~Niebuhr

negativefx14
Garter
Garter

Post by negativefx14 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Is there a name for the lab machine, for I must put this in my materials list. And I googled it, and cant find anything.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:59 pm

mass spectrometery is done by...mass spectrometer lol.
~Niebuhr