Deleted

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:16 am

Eye color is determined mostly by melanin and Eumelanin. These molecules are dictated by your DNA, so unless staring at a light reprograms DNA, I think the idea is silly. Temporary eye color change however, may be possible, but I dunno.

Jones
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Jones » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 pm

I suppose that's what colour contacts are for, eh?
J o n e s i e
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? -Albert Einstein

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:26 pm

I think the point of this post is how to do it naturally, all these other means are artificial
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Jones
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Jones » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:35 pm

I realize that.
Do you have any suggestions of natural eye colour change mith?
J o n e s i e
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? -Albert Einstein

zukline
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by zukline » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:45 am

MichaelXY wrote:Eye color is determined mostly by melanin and Eumelanin. These molecules are dictated by your DNA, so unless staring at a light reprograms DNA, I think the idea is silly. Temporary eye color change however, may be possible, but I dunno.

Seems to me that skin color is also supposed to be determined by DNA, but people get dark under the sun. It means that DNA is not something that is so static.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:30 am

It's quite a jump to say that people get dark under the sun therefore their DNA changed.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Yasaman.herandy
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by Yasaman.herandy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 am

mith wrote:It's quite a jump to say that people get dark under the sun therefore their DNA changed.

Anyways, even if the DNA hadn't changed but what we can see has changed!
maybe other factors caused this! but what factors!!!??? :roll:

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:01 pm

What you should understand is that although environment can affect the phenotype (what you see) to some extent, depending on the discussed phenotype (and this effect is important when it comes to skin color, less marked for hair color), your genes set some limits to those variation.
To use the skin color example: no amount of sun exposure can get some red hair/pale blond skins to go dark (they go from pale to burnt red), and as well even avoiding sun, black skinned people will only very moderately (if at all) get a whiter skin.
Chemicals, diet and local climate might cause some variations, but the example of the Original poster is pure BS. The correlations and hypothesis used as a "scientific" basis for this piece are just showing ignorance of human geography (interracial mixing in latin America, ignorance of inuit people, not exacly blond with blue eyes despite their life up north and loads of fish in their diet, ...), genetics and physiology.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

zukline
Garter
Garter

Re: Can this method make you blue or green eyed naturally?

Post by zukline » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:04 am

Let's forget about south americans cause they have mixed a lot, but you can still see change in pure spaniards enclave of cuba, which is very different looking now than original spaniards of spain. Inuits and Chukcha of Russia are still Mongoloid people, even though they live in far north and allegedly eat a lot of fish. But we need to understand that these people live in Continental climate which has sharp sun and cold dry climate, not a weahter like in Europe or similar micro-areas like northern afghanistan, sayan mountain and altai mountai.

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Despite claims from Cubans, many have decendents from the Taino-Arawak indians. So I would argue that all Cubans are pure Spaniards.
Check out the Cuban DNA project.
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/CubaDNAProject/

zukline
Garter
Garter

Re: Can this method make you blue or green eyed naturally?

Post by zukline » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:11 am

So I did not get your are you saying cubans are pure spaniards or they are mixed?

zukline
Garter
Garter

Post by zukline » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 am

Cubans are pure spaniards that have mutated a bit