Mouth or Nose?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Mouth or Nose?

Post by mcar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:26 pm

When a term baby is born, suctioning and oxygenation must immediately follow the delivery. But what should be suctioned first? nasal or oral first? My stand here is from nasal first; if ever that newborn has passed meconium, it would be better to suction first nasally since contamination will be more likely prevented. Now, if it is really the mouth first, what is the rationale behind? Thanks.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

D_GILL911
Garter
Garter

Post by D_GILL911 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:25 pm

The theory of ONPS or oronasalpharyngeal suctioning , is just that, a Theory. Test have been done to prove the effectivnes of newborn ONPS, but studies always showed that the outcome was the same; regardless of suctioning. To aswer your question, the mouth is always suctioned first 3-4 times with a bulb syringe. Newborns are nasal breathers. The stimulation of suctioning the nose will cause the newborn to began respirations. If the nose is suctioned prior to the mouth, the newborn could begin breathing and aspirate anything remaining in the oropharynx. In deliveries that present with meconium staining, the newborn should be suctioned vigorously prior to shoulder presentation. Suction should always be followed in the mouth-then-nose method. If you have any more questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

DRG

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Post by mcar » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:29 am

I appreciate your answer here. Thank you so much.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---