Microevolution and Macroevolution

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Littlelonewolf
Garter
Garter

Microevolution and Macroevolution

Post by Littlelonewolf » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 am

I'm in an AP Biology class and we had a test on mechanisms of evolution. I did well on the test but poorly in the essay even though I thought that I did pretty well.

The essay question was:
Microevolution is the change in which microevolution can take place
a. Describe three ways in which microevolution can take place.
b. Describe the difference between microevolution and macroevolution.

For a, I answered: gene mutation, gene flow and natural selection and described each of them. (I only got 1 point)
For b, I defined Microevolution (I got a point) and Macroevolution and described each of them further. (I received no other points at this point)

My teacher grades the way AP does.. Which means that as long as I talk about or mention part of the answers, she will give me points. And for the essays she wants details. I really tried writing as much details for my answers but I just don't know what answer specifically my teacher is looking for.. Did I even answer a right?? and what answer do you think she's looking for a and b??

Oh yeah.. My teacher grades these essays based on model answers from the AP test. As long as mine is similar or talk about the same thing as the model answer, then I get points for them.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:16 pm

I personally think the terms microevolution and macroevolution have no place in a science classroom. The terms were originally coined. by anti-evolutionists who decided it would be a good way to deny the evidence of evolution by calling every observed example of evolution "microevolution" and then insisting that "macroevolution" has never been observed. It is interesting that they never defined exactly what macroevolution is; they just labelled every provable example as microevolution.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:11 pm

why not ask your teacher? I also agree with alex, I've never seen such a question on the ap test or practice tests. Are you one of the unfortunate students living in texas, kansas or florida?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr