clearing up terminology

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

aftereleven
Garter
Garter

clearing up terminology

Post by aftereleven » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 pm

I have a paper to write on the molecular anaylsis advancements of histopathology such as in situ hybridisation and in situ PCR. however when i look these methods up, they fall under cytogenetics rather than histopathology. I wanted to know if cytogentics is part of histopathology since the latter is the study of tissue disease processes and cytogenetics is about the chromosomal structure in tissue cells. However when do i searches ive seen the two terms being used as part of sperate methods to analyze the same thing and i'm getting kinda confused.

ps, if anyone knows of any particular diseases that can be diagnosed through in situ hybridisation and/or in situ PCR i'd appreciate some information

Thanks a bunch

Cat
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Cat » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:55 am

Histopathology means study of diseased (or suffering) tissues. It can be divided into histology -- microscopic examination of them and histochemistry which will encompass molecular biology methods such as PCR and hybridization. Cytogenetics has nothing to do with these techniques.