Urination Reflex

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

CutthroatX
Garter
Garter

Urination Reflex

Post by CutthroatX » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:00 am

When you put a sleeping person's hand in warm water it causes them to wet the bed.

I was wondering what the mechanism is that causes this to happen, and I want to know what good it did in the realm of survival.
What was the point of having this urination reflex?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Urination Reflex

Post by mith » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:34 am

You should check your premise before proceeding i.e. try it out to see if it actually works.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

CutthroatX
Garter
Garter

Post by CutthroatX » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:50 pm

I know that whenever I take a warm shower it makes me want to go to the bathroom really bad. I figure that is proof enough for me.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:41 pm

CutthroatX wrote:I know that whenever I take a warm shower it makes me want to go to the bathroom really bad. I figure that is proof enough for me.

Then your standard of quality are quite poor for proofs, because comparing both is quite a stretch.

And reflex are not necessarily useful for survival, or for anything. They can just be there as a side effects of another thing that is actually useful.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:56 am

This doesn't actually answer to the question about a hand in warm water and wetting a bed, but what I know is that some staff in a clinical lab where I used to work used warm water on baby boys in order to make them pee, because otherwise collecting a urine sample from a few months old is pretty tricky (they don't pee on demand ;)) - so they just ran a bit of warm water on the kids' pecker and voilá! You got your urine sample in no time :P

Now, what I don't know is that if you'd put the baby's hand in warm water instead, would he pee - anyone got a fresh new baby boy and wanna try out..? In the name of science! :D