Differentiation Of Bacillus subtilis strains.

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

kaja
Garter
Garter

Differentiation Of Bacillus subtilis strains.

Post by kaja » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 pm

I was just wondering if anyone could please tell me the difference between the bacterial strains below as ive been having major difficulties finding anything anywhere.
Bacillus subtilis:
1. PY79 spo+
2. SC1988 spoVM::spc
3. SC2376 gerD.cwlB::neo

Many thanks, kaja. :D

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: Differentiation Of Bacillus subtilis strains.

Post by blcr11 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 pm

The first is a standard lab strain of B subtilis completely competent for sporulation (spo+). The other two have transposon insertions inactivating, in each case, a different gene involved in sporulation: spoVM or gerD. The gerD interruption has been modified to confer neomycin resistance. Usually, only yeast and fungi form spores. B. subtilis is one of the few bacteria that sporulate. Wander around papers from Rich Losick’s group and you’ll probably find all these genes described somewhere.

kaja
Garter
Garter

Post by kaja » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:07 am

Thanks so much- really was great help. :D Kaja.

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:44 am

Just occurred to me that "spc" may stand for spectinomycin. Maybe the spoVM insertion has also been modified for antibiotic resistence as well? Would have to check that to be sure.

kaja
Garter
Garter

Post by kaja » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 pm

thanks- yep checked out the resistance thing and does seem to be the case. it also seems that similarly the gerD.cwlB::neo strain has been modified to confer neomycin resistance. Thanks again :D kaja