Debating between courses.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

UofTorontogirl
Garter
Garter

Debating between courses.

Post by UofTorontogirl » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:51 am

So I been having some trouble debating over which courses to take. I'm a second year student at University of Toronto I really want to go into Cell Biology. Right now I'm doing a four year degree in Biology focusing on cell biology.
The courses I'm debating over are physical chemistry, anatomy and a biometrics 2. I would really like to know which one would provide me with the most help if I were to do some sort of research in the field of cellular biology.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Debating between courses.

Post by mith » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:42 am

I'd say no to the anatomy class, probably chem would be useful. It sounds like a prereq for future studies.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Re: Debating between courses.

Post by blcr11 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:24 pm

I'm not enthusiastic about anatomy either, unless you're interested in medical school. The P. Chem will be the most general. Sometimes they will slant it towards Biophysical Chemistry, but if not, prepare yourself for a lot of physical properties of gases and pure solutions. Statistical thermo will probably be the most difficut part of an intro course; you will probably only touch briefly on quantum treatments of atoms and molecules, though that depends on the bias of the professor(s). Wouldn't hurt to brush up on your algebra and calculus either. Not sure what the Biometrics course is all about. Could be useful, too, depending on what it is exactly.