Y does H2O2 oxidize lipids much more strongly than proteins?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hanhan2008
Garter
Garter

Y does H2O2 oxidize lipids much more strongly than proteins?

Post by hanhan2008 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:30 pm

I'm doing literature research on oxidative stress, and found in a ppt file (By Dr. Emily Shacter, from FDA. http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/researc ... Advantages and disadvantages of using proteins as markers of oxidative stress) that H2O2 treatment of cells hits DNA and lipids hard but not proteins. On the contrary, HOCl has the reversed order: protein >>lipids>>DNA.
Would anybody want to explain the mechanism behind these phenonmena (or give some links to research papers)? Thanks in advance.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:03 am

I think that the answers is written thare. It's all because protein has a amide group and amino acid has a carboxyl roup. Both of these groups contain carbonyl arrangements which is said to be stable to oxidation stress. Meanwhile, lipids (e.g. fatty acids) are less stable to oxidation stress because the hydrocarbon chain located at the back of the carboxyl heads is in a higher reductive stage compared to C-alpha or carbonyl group in protein/amino acid. So, I think that is the reason why fatty acids (lipid) are more prone to oxidation stress.
But for the reversal phenomenon of HOCl, I haven't got a clue. But I think, maybe it's because that oxidation of a protein by HOCl results a more stable compound of reduced Cl-compund compared to oxidation of lipid.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.