Isoelectric Point

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

rikajaj
Garter
Garter

Isoelectric Point

Post by rikajaj » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:12 am

Can someone tell me how to find the theoretical isoelectric point of a given protein? Is there an equation? Or a search tool? I tried pubmed but I couldn't find it for the protein I need to do a paper on.

Thanks

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:57 am

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:06 pm

I am no expert, but an isoelectric point determination program should work with PDB files, as you need to know its 3D shape. It doesn't matter so much what aminoacids are in the protein, but rather what aminoacids are on the surface...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

woolleyy
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by woolleyy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:12 am

As I understood it a Pi detector was pretty shabby, as nothing can really substitute for hard evidence from a little experimenting...

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I would think a program that would work with PDB files should get them pretty close, as it could take into account all the aminoacids on the surface. Sure, nothing beats a good isoelectric focusing, but it is good for a start.
However, i don't know if such a program exists...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

biotechatrocketmail
Garter
Garter

Re: Isoelectric Point

Post by biotechatrocketmail » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am

There is Henderson–Hasselbalch equation which you can use to calculate raw IP of protein (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henderson% ... h_equation). The other problem is estimation of pK values. More info about this you can find on http://isoelectric.ovh.org/ There you will be able to calculate IP for given sequence using different pKs or download all PDB database with calculated isoelectric points.