glass vs. plastic when working with lipids

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

unibas
Garter
Garter

glass vs. plastic when working with lipids

Post by unibas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi,

I need to analyze the fat content of stool samples from mice. I found a protocol that involves chloroform:methanol extraction and weighing the extracted fat.
The entire protocol is with glass tubes, but we don't have a centrifuge that fits glass tubes. How important is it to use glass and not plastic? I anyway can't use glass, so is it worth bothering with this protocol?

Thanks!

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 pm

i don't see how glass/plastic tubes would make a significant difference. But my lab experience is extremely limited.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

unibas
Garter
Garter

Post by unibas » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:27 pm

I suppose lipids stick to plastic. I think most of the protocols for lipid analysis ask for glass tubes.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:30 pm

they do stick to plastic, but if they are in a methanol chloroform solution i doubt they do
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter