Phloem

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Post Reply
User avatar
Navin
Coral
Coral
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Singapore (Asia Pacific)

Phloem

Post by Navin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi

I want to know is there is Starch present in the phloem.

From what I know, the phloem transports sucrose.

So, would the phloem turn blue-black when flooded with iodine solution?

Also, would the pith of a stem turn blue-black when added with iodine solution?

User avatar
James
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 552
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: England

Post by James » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Sucrose is transported in the phloem, and converted to starch at sink cells. The phloem doesn't contain starch, but the pith does.

ERS
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:13 am

Post by ERS » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:24 pm

they should stain blue-black or thereabouts.
ERS

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:01 pm

Actually it is a bit more complicated than that... Starch can not disolve into water, so it is moved around under the form of sucrose(or zaharose). Now the floem contains 25% organic substances and 75% water. From the total of organic substances, 90% is sucrose, the other 10% is made up of other sugars, aminoacids and lipids. So it is false to say that the role of the phloem is to transport sucrose, as some textbooks say.
Now, the phloem does not contain starch, if you put Lugol on it it will not turn blue.
I tried to do the experiment to test this last year, but no book tells us how to isolate the phloem from the plant. The pith will no doubt turn blue as there is starch present there
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

User avatar
lohita
Death Adder
Death Adder
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:59 am
Location: canada (indian)
Contact:

Post by lohita » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:43 am

and also phloem doesn't carry only starch. it carries all the products of photosynthesis, this process is called translocation.

User avatar
Navin
Coral
Coral
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Singapore (Asia Pacific)

Post by Navin » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:38 am

Hey thanks a bunch!

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:29 pm

lohita wrote:and also phloem doesn't carry only starch. it carries all the products of photosynthesis, this process is called translocation.

Actually the phloem doesn't carry starch at all because starch is not water-soluble. The stuff stranslocated through the phloem is called sucrose or sacharose
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

User avatar
b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Post by b_d_41501 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:54 pm

It carries disaccharides, correct? It doesn't carry polysaccharides (starches) due to this insolubility, right?
"Take four red capsules, in ten minutes take two more. Help is on the way."
----- Voice from the Medicine Cabinet

User avatar
MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan
Posts: 6832
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: Romania(small and unimportant country)
Contact:

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Yes that is true... It also carries fructose(something like 0.000001% but it is there) and other molecules such as aminoacids
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

User avatar
b_d_41501
King Cobra
King Cobra
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Post by b_d_41501 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:37 pm

I thought so
"Take four red capsules, in ten minutes take two more. Help is on the way."
----- Voice from the Medicine Cabinet

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests