U.N. Report on Climate Change

Discussion of the distribution and abundance of living organisms and how these properties are affected by interactions between the organisms and their environment

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

U.N. Report on Climate Change

Post by AstusAleator » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:03 pm

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009189585

http://www.ipcc.ch/

The UN has released a seemingly comprehensive and conclusive report on global warming. See the links for more details.

Discuss
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

h2so4hurts
Garter
Garter

Post by h2so4hurts » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:36 am

My prediction: The current administration will dismiss and ignore all of this scientific information

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Sounds reasonable
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:28 am

admitting climate change as a major problem would mean Al Gore was right, wouldn't it? :lol:
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:07 pm

Global warming deniers are almost all related somehow to big corporations.

However this report comes out at a bad time. The UN report on AIDS just got hailed as being inaccurate, reporting estimates way higher. Some claim it is for funding reasons.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 pm

How can anyone seriously deny global warming? Even in my short lifetime I can remember when it used to be a lot colder. Only about a decade ago, Louisiana used to experience several hard freezes every winter; now we're lucky if we have even one!
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Well, that's a particular type of case that people like to use to argue against the percieved threat, since temperatures and weather patterns are known to fluctuate over years and generations. Scientific evidence supports the hypothesis that weather patterns occur in cycles; cycles within cycles even. So a person arguing against your personal proof (which I am not) would simply claim that the changes you have observed are part of a natural weather cycle. Furthermore so-called global-warming does not necessarily result in hotter temperatures across the globe, but in some areas can have a cooling effect, and in others have no effect at all.

But, I would venture that of all the US states, Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas are probably the most likely to feel the warming effects of global climate change. It's even more likely that those states will (and have been) experience more severe weather

So your experience most likely does have something to do with the reality of global warming.

Here's an excerpt from the summary of AR4
"It is very likely that over the past 50 years: cold days, cold nights and frosts have become less frequent over most
land areas, and hot days and hot nights have become more frequent. It is likely that: heat waves have become more
frequent over most land areas, the frequency of heavy precipitation events has increased over most areas, and since
1975 the incidence of extreme high sea level3 has increased worldwide. {1.1}"

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:18 pm

PS: if anyone didn't bother going any further in the links I already posted, here's what you missed. The summary of AR4, with all the interesting facts and statistics.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-repor ... yr_spm.pdf

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:25 am

Hm, more severe weather, huh? I guess that explains Hurrican Katrina.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:09 am

Oh but wasn't there all sorts of punditry about a hurricane of similar intensity and destructiveness around the beginning of the 1900s?

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:03 am

Yes there was, although I forget the year. It virtually destroyed the entire New Orleans aristocracy, who at the time were all vacationing on Grande Isle, right in the hurricane's path.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count