Cytochrome C synthesis and apoptosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jrebers
Garter
Garter

Cytochrome C synthesis and apoptosis

Post by jrebers » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:57 pm

Release of cytochrome C from the intermembrane space of mitochondria induces apoptosis, by forming a cytochrome C/Apaf1 complex that activates a caspase cascade. Why doesn't cytochrome C activate this pathway while it is being synthesized in the cytosol? My best guess is that the newly synthesized cytochrome C binds to the TOM1 import complex in the mitochondrial outer membrane faster than it binds to Apaf1, but I couldn't find any research or review articles addressing this. If anyone knows the answer to this question or can point me to some articles, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

jrebers
Garter
Garter

Post by jrebers » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:30 pm

I found the answer to this question elsewhere. There were enough people checking out the question I thought the answer would be of general interest. Cytochrome C is synthesized as an apoprotein and needs a heme group added to be functional for either electron transport or to combine with Apaf-1 to induce apoptosis. The heme group is added in the mitochondrion. It turns out that apocytochrome C, the form found immediately after synthesis in the cytosol, actively inhibits apoptosis. See:
Martin AG, Nguyen J, Wells JA, Fearnhead HO.
Apo cytochrome c inhibits caspases by preventing apoptosome formation.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Jul 2;319(3):944-50.
PMID: 15184073 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]