Bye-bye solenoid. Or so it seems

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Bye-bye solenoid. Or so it seems

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:29 am

I, like many on this forum i presume, have been raised to believe that the 30 nm fiber in DNA has the shape of a solenoid, with 6 nucleosomes per turn. However, current research seems to contradict this.
I just bought Harvey Lodish's "Molecular Cell Biology" 6th edition(it came out in august). It is there where I read that the current model for the 30 nm fiber is not a solenoid, but a sort of zig-zag ribon that is wound into a helix of two "strands" of solenoids, remarcably similar with the structure of a DNA molecule. This helix however, is left handed, not right handed like in a DNA molecule.

Anyone know more?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:48 pm

Umm...I've found this and maybe it can help :)
1. The Three-Dimensional Structure of Human Interphase Chromosomes is Related to The Transcriptome Map

2. Generic Features of Tertiary Chromatin Structure as Detected in Natural Chromosomes

3. [url=http://mcb.asm.org/cgi/reprint/23/15/5234?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=tertiary+Structure+of+chromatin&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=10&fdate=1/1/2000&resourcetype=HWCIT]A Complex Chromatin Landscape Revealed by Patterns of Nuclease
Sensitivity and Histone Modification within the Mouse beta-globin locus[/url]

I got it from here

Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.