Proteins and amino acids?

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Makubex
Garter
Garter

Proteins and amino acids?

Post by Makubex » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:50 pm

Okay, have i got this right? A protein contains 50 or more amino acids. If its under 50 amino acids its called a petide. But is there 20 amino acids, and the essential ones that you need to eat are included there, or are those not included in the 20?

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:24 pm

Key here is probably length.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:36 pm

The distinction between peptide and protein is kind of arbitrary. Drawing the line at 50 residues is as good a place as any, though I wouldn’t want to go much higher in length. The smaller a stretch of sequence, the less likely it is to have any secondary structure on its own. For example, if you were to “cut out” a helical section of a protein, chances are the 15-20 residue protein-segment would be an extended chain in solution rather than a helix when expressed alone.

There are 20 amino acids found in proteins. The full list includes the essential, the conditionally essential and the non-essential, though “essential” varies with the organism. I don’t know what the size of a protein or peptide has to do with whether or not any its residues are essential amino acids with respect to dietary requirements--if that's what you were asking.