CELL CENTRIFUGE URGENT!!

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Sarah T.
Garter
Garter

CELL CENTRIFUGE URGENT!!

Post by Sarah T. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:00 pm

If I put in cells that have been broken up into a centrifuge (red meat cells), dose anybody know the levels of seperation ie how much they will seperate? How long would this take in a centrifuge? Can this be done at room temp?

Thanks
Sarah

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:25 pm

separate what from what?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:13 am

Depends of the kind of centrifuge, speed, presence of separation medium (fycoll, CsCl,...)
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:51 am

also depends on the type of centrifugation technique
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:22 pm

Maybe this will help a little:

http://www.biochemj.org/bj/cp/2006/c010/2006c010.pdf

I don’t do this kind of stuff for a living, so I’m no expert and shouldn’t be taken for one. In principle, I think you can separate various organelles from membranes, nuclei and microsomes, etc. on a single sucrose gradient, but I think what is more typically done is to do graded centrifugations through some kind of stepped sucrose gradient (or ficoll or something like that; and doing everything at 4 C is probably de rigueur). After cracking the cells, the first spin will be relatively low speed to sediment the most dense material (and I don’t know without checking if that would be nuclei or some other structure)—the supernatant would then be diluted a bit and spun a little faster to pellet the next-most-dense fraction, and so on to the least dense. There is a kit (at least one—there may be others) for routine cell fractionation. The kits are commonly used to prepare microsomes to test potential drug candidates for the ability to induce Cyto-P450 in liver cells. (Usually, you’re hoping that the candidate won’t induce since high levels of P450 activity typically means that the compound will have a very high clearance rate and/or high level of conversion to potentially inactive metabolites and so probably won’t be a useful drug, but that doesn’t change the cell-separation principle). You can look at some information on the kit at: http://www.biovision.com/products/k270.html