Question about organisms of which MITOSIS occurs

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

tbizkit2011
Garter
Garter

Question about organisms of which MITOSIS occurs

Post by tbizkit2011 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 am

I'm having trouble figuring out which organism does not use Mitosis. Whether it is bacteria, trees, or mushrooms?!?! Humans was a choice also but I know that we use Mitosis. Plants use Mitosis too, but I'm not sure if trees or mushrooms are the same type of plants that use Mitosis because they do not come to mind as everyday plants. I thought bacteria used Mitosis but maybe I am wrong. Really, I would think they all do because they all grow and enlarge, but one of these organims has to not use Mitosis according to class discussion. PLEASE help! An explanation would be great too.
THANKS!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:32 am

well remember to have mitosis, you need organelles or did I just give away too much?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:33 am

also, note than one of tree and mushroom is not a plant.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

tbizkit2011
Garter
Garter

Post by tbizkit2011 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 pm

hmm now i am confused, when mith said they had to have organelles, i was thinking it was bacteria that doesn't use mitosis. but mrmystery makes it seem like whichever one isn't a plant (which i think mushrooms would be less a plant, but i'm not sure because thats why I have been having trouble with this in the first place). More hints please lol or more clarification

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:02 pm

you need to look up the dichotomy between prokaryotes or eukaryotes
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

tbizkit2011
Garter
Garter

Post by tbizkit2011 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:18 pm

I PMed you MrMystery since your the only one replying anyway and I want to make sure you see my response but I guess I should put in in the forum anyway... so I have been doing some "research". It seems like mushrooms are fungi not plants, but it looks like they still do have organelles. And bacteria is prokaryotic which lacks organelles. So I would have to say bacteria does not use Mitosis but I am not completely sure, I guess it threw me off because you said one wasn't a plant so I thought that was a hint that the answer was whichever wasn't a plant. Please verify if I have it correct now?

dna89
Garter
Garter

Post by dna89 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 pm

try to find out about amitosis. i think it'll help.