lab analysis of house dust mites

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cellaginela
Garter
Garter

lab analysis of house dust mites

Post by cellaginela » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:13 pm

i am doin a research on the distribution of house dust mites in prayer's room...in order 2 identified the mites species in lab...the flotation method was used..but..i not sure about some prosedure...can somebody help me to slove some pblm?
1) wat is suitable 2 pick up the mites on the 125um sieve?does a small brush suitable?will it destroy the mites body which may hard 4 me 2 identified it under microscope?

2) How much speed and time is suitable during the centrifugation step which perfom to separate mites from dust?

thanx :lol:

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:11 pm

I'm certainly no entymologist, but I don't think centrifugation will help you much. Unless you're separating them out in some sort of viscous medium, spinning a mixture of dust and mites is likely to produce dust with mites (some undoubtedly crushed) at the bottom of the tube and a column of air above it. I think it is reasonable to sample dust by fitration through a 125 micron filter, or use a HEPA filter--I think those go down maybe even as low as 5 micron, but certainly 25-50 micron. Then you'll just have to look at the dust sample under the microscope. You can get filters with grids to aid in any quantitation you might want to try. Or maybe you can just take a piece of cellophane tape and collect a sample of dust + mites by pressing the tape onto an area and lifting it back off? Don't know if that works or not, but if it does, it saves you the trouble of filtering. Still have to look at the samples under a microscope.