What materials would need to utilize endocytosis?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

AyoTheLioness
Garter
Garter

What materials would need to utilize endocytosis?

Post by AyoTheLioness » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi, everyone! Glad to have found this website. :D

I've been studying Biology on my own with an old second-hand textbook, and just finished a section that briefly mentioned endocytosis. The term and how it works (as well as how exocytosis) was explained just fine. The textbook merely doesn't give an example of what sorts of materials would be so big that they'd need to enter the cell through endocytosis. Can anyone tell me about this?

Thanks!

Jammerz
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Jammerz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:12 am

Certain hormones, large polar molecules, certain solutes...

Or in phagocytic cells (like macrophages/neutrophils/immune cells/APCs), cells often take up pathogens and invaders and foreign bodies through a form of endocytosis!

Read some more at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocytosis

futulam
Garter
Garter

Post by futulam » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:23 am

lol do not read from wikipedia because anyone can add anything they like in there. Not a good reference if you want to know about things. i am just telling the fact. =)

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:11 am

Do read Wikipedia, just be careful if references are asked for.

It's like asking a random crowd for directions. Some will tell you the right route, others will lead you to Raccoon City.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Jammerz
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Jammerz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 am

Whenever I use wikipedia for a project/research/homework, I just use it to get an idea of the subject. Then I use that to direct me towards more legitimate sources of info (university sites, research papers, scientific journals, etc)

Seriously though wikipedia is generally very reliable and has high quality control; the only articles you need to worry about being false due to someone editing are the ones about towns in the middle of nowhere or articles that nobody cares about.

Things about biology, chemistry, countries, etc. are generally maintained very well.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:29 am

agreed with Jammers.
By the way, endocytosis and phagocytosis are not exactly the same thing. They have different mechanisms...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter