human bio help needed.

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ecsezandohs
Garter
Garter

human bio help needed.

Post by ecsezandohs » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:39 pm

I am in my first year of human biology and recently got my study guide for the first test. The only problem is I don't know the answers to some of the questions and my Prof. just said to "look in the book." the book doesn't help me at all and I have found most of the answers online. Can anyone help me with the following questions?

1-Describe 4 charateristics of enzymes.

2-Describe the function of enzymes in 4 steps.

3-What types of cells contain the most mitochondria?

4-Compare the products of free-floating ribosomes and ribosomes made in the endoplasmic reticulum.

5-Where are enzymes made?

6-Describe what happens to a protein from the time it is made in a ribosome until it leaves the cell.

7-Most cells have one nucleus. Name two exceptions.

8- Name and describe the two forms DNA takes within the cell.

*any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!*

Jammerz
Death Adder
Death Adder

Re: human bio help needed.

Post by Jammerz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:55 pm

ecsezandohs wrote:1-Describe 4 charateristics of enzymes.
2-Describe the function of enzymes in 4 steps.
3-What types of cells contain the most mitochondria?
4-Compare the products of free-floating ribosomes and ribosomes made in the endoplasmic reticulum.
5-Where are enzymes made?
6-Describe what happens to a protein from the time it is made in a ribosome until it leaves the cell.
7-Most cells have one nucleus. Name two exceptions.
8- Name and describe the two forms DNA takes within the cell.

Some of these questions are a little ambiguous/open ended, but most of them you will find in your textbook or on the internet very easily. I'll offer my opinion on a few and point you in the right direction for others:
1) I would say: lower activation energy, reusable, specific (in which substrate they bind), organic molecules
2) Read your book, it will be in there.
3) Think about what mitochondria does. Which kinds of cells need the most of this?
4) Where they are made affects their final/ultimate location (another organelle? Modification? Secreted outside the cell?) Look for that type of info.
5) Enzymes are proteins. This should tell you where they are made.
6) You can find all the details about this in your textbook or any website on google.
7) Two possibilities: Cells with no nucleus, and cells with two or more nuclei. Look for examples of such cells on the internet.
8) Think about the cell cycle for this answer; what is different when a cell is actively dividing? When it is not?

ecsezandohs
Garter
Garter

Post by ecsezandohs » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:51 am

Thanks. I hate the way my prof. worded the questions. some of them are basic chemistry and i was a chemistry major before i changed to nursing so i knew all of the basic chem stuff, but the way he worded everything made me doubt myself. But thanks so much for your help. I love this forum!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:23 am

enzyme = catalyst
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr