Animal Instincts

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hurly
Coral
Coral

Animal Instincts

Post by hurly » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:41 pm

I have one question regarding animal memories. Are animal memories long-lasting or do they just last for a short period ot time? I mean, if a zebrababy gets eaten by a crocodile while crossing a river, her mom can't do anything but to continue swimming over and then watch the baby get eaten. Will the zebra remember this through her whole life, or is it forgotten after a time? Don't know if there has been any ground-breaking on animal instincts but...

And do they cry? I think I saw on Discovery and zebra had some kind of shiny drops of water on the eye.

I guess my question is a bit silly since all animals are different. But I still want to know abou the zebra animal instincts :)

I also would like some links on animal instincts, if anybody in here happen to have any good websites ^^

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:50 pm

I guess it depends on the animal. Just a guess though...
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:16 pm

It does, elephants are supposed to have really long memories and goldfish have 5minute memories...i.e. they never get bored swimming around and around.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

ctmdvf
Garter
Garter

Re

Post by ctmdvf » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:56 pm

Dogs supposedly have short memories, but on the other hand... they don´t forget their owners even after 6 months.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:36 pm

Oh yes now i remember it said about that in my 10th grade biology book. PS: I liked the gold-fish example mithril
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

skilban
Garter
Garter

Post by skilban » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:32 am

so can zebras cry? my guess is maybe they can as they like most animals do feel sadness, and even if they dont show it say when their child gets eaten I believe they will be crying inside,

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:43 pm

They don't physically cry, but sometimes they look as though they show signs of sadness

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:26 pm

Actually etologists haven't decided if animals cn feel sadness or not... I have a book that says they do and one that says the don't :D