Chromosomes

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

dan167
Garter
Garter

Chromosomes

Post by dan167 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:30 pm

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am not really sure what I want to know, Ive confused myself :roll:

Anyways, from what I know a chromosome is DNA, in a certain form. Humans have 23 pairs chromosomes. How come we have 23 different pieces of DNA? Why not just have one big chromosome? Since we do have 23, is it possible to add another chromosome to cells so they can express the correct proteins for recessive disease?

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:48 pm

commonly, gene therapy used to fix the "false" sequence, so we may not need to add more chromosome(s).

about, one big chromosomes...
it may hard to answer this at the very accurate point.

we, human, has 2 kind chromosomes i.e. autosomes and sex chromosomes. more information about them, please google it. i think they will be many information you may get about them. (^_^)

please search them..especially about sex determination, X chromosome and Y chromosome.

hope this help a bit. (^^).. and good luck.
anyreply is welcome. hehe..

dan167
Garter
Garter

Post by dan167 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info ^^ but I was more leading towards how are chromosomes formed and how come they don't react together?

baikuza
Coral
Coral

Post by baikuza » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:27 am

chromosomes are formed by chromatin which is made of the condensed DNA + histon protein.

they react each other. you can dig about crossing over.
..or you refer to why they can be devided into chromosomes _at_ anaphase?? one chromatid into two chromosomes??

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Variety in offspring comes from mixing up our sets of chromosomes, and variation is a strong force in evolution.

If you got just one chromosome from Mom and one from Dad, there aren't a lot of different mixes that you could send to your kids...