Experimental Design???

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Azumi
Garter
Garter

Experimental Design???

Post by Azumi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 pm

Design an experiment to test the effect of varying pH of the sugar solution on the rate of respiration. Include prediction of the expected result?

I don't understand, how am I suppose to start. This is my summer homework assignment before I start the class for AP Biology.

What could possibly be my hypothesis, and how can I test it?

Can you help me begin or advice so I can begin and end this frustration.

Also in ," To design the experiment."

What is being measure?

I have no clue >..>

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Your hypothesis should be something like "Decreasing the pH of the sugar solution will cause cellular respiration to decrease". Then you make the experiment in which you measure cellular respiration(you have to devise a way to that) using sugar solutions of different pH values and see if your hypothesis was right or wrong. Then try to find possible explanations why that was.

Hint: your hypothesis doesn't have to be correct. That's why you are testing it.
Good luck
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Final_King
Garter
Garter

Post by Final_King » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi im new at this stuff with like no background information because i just jumped into this ap class and all my previous clases only touched on this stuff .and id like to no what this stuff means. :arrow:

yeast cells are placed in an apparatus with a soulution of sugar.
the apparatus detects bubbles of gas relaesd by the yeast cells.
the reate of respiration varies with the srrounding temperatures as idicated by teh data below. :!:

im not quite sure what any of this means so can u explain :?: sure i can bs it but i want to learn it. Sorry for typos and mispelings, and bad grammer.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:26 pm

You should probably get out of AP then, the stuff isn't going to get any easier.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Final_King
Garter
Garter

Post by Final_King » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:30 am

mith wrote:You should probably get out of AP then, the stuff isn't going to get any easier.

no your wrong Sorry dont meen to be mean but i have much experience with other stuff in ap biology a lot of i,t topwards the end of book but just the begining chapters including this problem im not quite sure what to do and how to do it. so once i get this i know the rest will be a breeze since i already know some of that stuff. so please do you have any idea please help me. i no i said i have like no background infermation on this stuff but i really need to do this for my self and my carreer so i really want to do this.

Final_King
Garter
Garter

Post by Final_King » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:32 am

ps: we never went over any of this in my text books/class. so im not sure how i would go about the scientific jargen either.

well after it gets tested and scored by my teacher and i get it back ill put what i have and if u want u can tell me where i went wrong nwith my answer

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 am

Final_King wrote:Hi im new at this stuff with like no background information because i just jumped into this ap class and all my previous clases only touched on this stuff .and id like to no what this stuff means. :arrow:

yeast cells are placed in an apparatus with a soulution of sugar.
the apparatus detects bubbles of gas relaesd by the yeast cells.
the reate of respiration varies with the srrounding temperatures as idicated by teh data below. :!:

im not quite sure what any of this means so can u explain :?: sure i can bs it but i want to learn it. Sorry for typos and mispelings, and bad grammer.

well, yeast converts sugar to ethanol and carbon dioxide which you know is a gas. The "apparatus" measures the gas production rate so more gas produced per minute means faster respiration.

Now, the third statement says if you vary the temperature of the sugar water solution the respiration rate changes.

So I'm guessing you're going to figure out which temperature is best for yeast respiration(fastest)
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr